Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sharing Memories, While Making New Ones

Parenting.com made a list of books most of us loved as a kid, that we should share with our children. The list "Best Books to Pass Down to Children" lists favorites of mine such as "Where the Sidewalk Ends", "The Polar Express", "The Giving Tree", "The Stinky Cheeseman", practically anything Dr. Seuss, and others. This got me thinking about all the things I loved growing up that I'm looking forward to sharing with my daughter, and future children.

1. A love for reading.
My favorites growing up were the Bearenstien Bear books, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I hope she loves escaping into books, as much as I do.

2. The ability to empathize. 
An ability that I think has been lost with the younger generations, starting with my own. I want to teach her how powerful empathy can be.

3. Imagination
Kids these days are so caught up in their video games, it leaves little time to play outside and create game scenarios, or think of creative hiding places while playing flashlight tag. With a good imagination, you will never be bored. I think that reading will also help her establish a fantastic ability to imagine.

4. Disney World
My husband and I love Disney World, and we are already planning our first family trip when our daughter is around 4 years old. There is so much to do, especially for little kids. And she'll get to meet all of her favorite characters in real life. I cannot wait to see her face light up while we're there.

5. Mt Desert Island, ME
My grandparents had a summer cottage up there, so we would go just about every other summer growing up. There are no big restaurant chains or stores, and tons of outdoor adventures to be had.

6. Historical Landmarks
Not only fun to explore, but educational too! Great for family outings also.

No comments:

Post a Comment